Northward Midget Pole to Pole


MAOI Stage 4 – Crash!

I sat in a pool of milk and wondered how it got on the floor.  I knew I'd spilled it on the countertop trying to pour it into my cereal, but how did it get all over the floor?  I stood, shakily, and saw that the half-gallon cardboard container of organic whole milk was tipped over, as was my cup of cereal.  Milk was everywhere, soaking boxes, creeping under the toaster, dribbling into the sink.

Wednesday afternoon, my psychiatrist upped my dose of Parnate to 10mg four times a day.  He said I could start immediately, and that some people take two in the morning and two at night.  That'd be a lot more convenient  and better distributed than the three times a day I had been doing: 8AM, 1-2PM, 5-6PM.

After the appointment, around 2PM, I took my second of the day.  When I got home, I waited, as I sometimes did, and took the double-dose right before putting the kids to bed between 8PM and 9PM.   The eldest was sick (just getting over it), so the youngest went separately in our bed, and didn't take too long.  Then downstairs to put the sickie down.

Around 11PM, I rolled out of her bed for a snack.  Nothing wrong yet.  Got to the kitchen, grabbed my glass (I eat cereal in drinking cups), poured some knockoff Wegmans brand of Cinnamon Life, got the milk, began to pour, then...I started to lose consciousness.  Not straight-away faint, but light-headed, and the milk wasn't hitting its target.

So, I slumped down to the floor to give my head a rest, then rose a few minutes later and tried again, but now the carton was tipped over, the glass was tipped over, milk was everywhere, and my ass was wet.  I grabbed paper towels, then towels from the dirty basket, then took off my shirt and wiped with that.  I may have tried another few times to make cereal, but ended up just eating a few scoops of the dry stuff after sopping up most of the milk, then gave up and put everything away.

The light-headedness lasted for a few more hours.  By Thursday, the next morning, it was gone, tested by my wet-shaving with the safety razor and taking a shower.  I went to work, and all seemed well.

That day, I waited until noon for my first 10MG, then another when I got home, then another around 11PM.  Today I did the usual 8/2/5 and I'll try the fourth as late as possible tonight.  Maybe Sunday, when nobody has anywhere to go, I'll try the 2/2 morning/night schedule.

All this after I'd told the doc "No, no light-headedness at all!" when he'd asked about what is a common side-effect of the drug.

In any case, my mood does seem somewhat improved on it, and it's only been a little over three days since I began the initial 10MG/day dose.  This is the worst side-effect I've ever had on an anti-depressant.  Not the most interesting (that would be the chronic wet dreams), but the worst.

Maybe it was an empty stomach, maybe it was the combination of my nightly 1MG of Klonopin.  I dunno.  We'll see.  I'll be careful.

Posted by Quinn

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.